Space heaters are in are involved in 79 percent of home heating fire deaths, according to the National Fire Protection Association. Most of these fire are due to improper use, not malfunctioning heaters:
Half of fatal home space heater fires started because something was too close to the heater and ignited. Keep heaters and things that can burn at least three feet apart,” said Lorraine Carli, NFPA’s vice president of communications. “Heating fires and the deaths they cause can usually be prevented with awareness and a few simple actions.
You can use space heaters without burning the building down. You just need to follow a few safety tips.
Space Heater Safety Tips.
- Only use UL, FM or ETL approved heaters.
- Turn off your space heater before you go to bed or leave the room.
- Only use space heaters with automatic shutoff so they turn off if tipped over.
- Place space heater on solid, flat surface.
- Plug power cords directly into outlets and never into an extension cord.
Safe Indoor Portable Heater Recommendations:
|Ribbon Radiant Heater by Holmes®||Ceramic Office Heater with Motion Sensor by Bionaire™||One-Touch Whisper Quiet 1500W Power Heater by Holmes®|